SMEs are important engines of economic growth and employment throughout the European Union. However, they are also substantial contributors to environmental pollution. Thanks to the presence of BAT-studies, SMEs do have up-dated information on all Best Available Technologies for in-process applications and end-of-pipe treatment. Nevertheless, there still seems to be a discrepancy between the amount of technological innovation and the penetration rate of new technologies into SMEs due to financial, technical, regulatory or staff restraints.
The overall aim of PRODESTS is to stimulate technology development by European environmental SMEs and technology demonstration at SME users to increase their commitment in future related Integrated Projects within the 6th Framework Programme.
In practice this will be achieved by
- the identification and elimination of barriers that limit the participation of SMEs within present EU research programs,
- the enhancement of SME connectivity on a European scale facilitated at a local level and
- technology and market-driven road mapping in promoting cleaner production Technologies to increase competitiveness of SMEs in an enlarged European market.
PRODESTS will create a network in Europe of local partners involved in environmental and clean process technology. These local partners, technology knowledge and R&D centres, will be the interface between the network and the local SMEs.
The outcome of the project will give concrete results about the benefits of integration of economic advantages into environmental issues considering the legal, administrative, financial and organisational aspects. The results of the study will direct SMEs to implement economically beneficial pollution prevention strategies in their company policies.
Description of actual services provided by your staff within the assignment:
- VIENNA ENGINEERS serves as the National Focal point of PRODESTS in Austria
- Dissemination of information and public awareness raising in terms of the project’s objectives (folders, workshops, conferences, articles, website)
- Recruitment of Austrian SMEs in the environmental sector to benefit from the PRODESTS’ offers